Monday 21 September 2009

ODI @ Trent Bridge/ Strictly/ Tapas

Everyone loves a freebie, so imagine my delight when I was offered a ticket to the 5th ODI at Trent Bridge for England v Australia - ahh ok ok, maybe delight is a bit strong considering at this point England were already 4-0 down in the series, but still I refer to my previous post 'Never look a gift horse in the mouth'!
Plus, it turned out to be a good move (not for the result - we lost, Aussies up 5-0 and on the verge of a 7-0 whitewash unless we seriously up the anti), no I was more referring to the weather. It poured in London and my little trip to Nottingham meant despite being cold I stayed dry as the weather was considerably better up North for once!
The guys I sat next to made every effort to get on TV (synchronised dancing and waving of hands - all the usuals to attract the TV cameras attention) but alas their 5 seconds of fame never came - I was somewhat grateful considering I was sat dithering, wrapped in my pashmina and holding on to my pint of Strongbow as if my life depended on it. Not a pretty sight for the TV viewers.
Despite the defeat it was a good day and one I topped off by reading trashy celebrity/fashion magazines all the way home - I'm now well versed on Amy Winehouse's bad gums and Kerry Katona's drug past.

Friday night had a little star next to it in my diary, for a while I couldn't work out why I'd done this. It's usually what I do if I'm saving a night for a special occasion, but there was no such thing, not on the friday anyway...or so I thought. With a little help from a TV ad I worked out it was a star to mark the start of the new series of Strictly Come Dancing! This is one of my favourite TV shows...glitter, lycra, good dancers (ala Alesha Dixon/ Tom Chambers), bad dancers (ala John Sargeant/John Barnes), Bruce Forsyth... and the dresses - what's not to like?
This years curtain raiser got me excited all over again...ok so Bruce was stumbling a little but he is like 110! New judge Alesha wasn't as bad as the papers were making out, but she does give Melanie from Neighbours (remember her from the Charlene/Scott era?) a run for her money for most annoying laugh! So to the dancers and Ali Bastian looked about the best, but I'll be cheering on fellow sport presenter Chris Hollins and entertainment value will come from Ricky Groves and Lynda Bellingham...but that's just the first half of course!

On Saturday my mum and I hot footed it round to Grace's mum's house for a Tapas night, well, I say hot footed but hobbled would be more appropriate as mum's been suffering from bad knees and I bullied her in to wearing heels and I wore a pair of heels about 4 inches taller.
Back to ladies Tapas night, all in aid of Grace's impending nuptials, and what felt like six jugs of sangria later and we were all sharing stories and having a giggle. One in particular stood out about a lady who went to New York but was absolutely petrified from the moment she landed. She was on edge every time she went to one of the tourist attractions for fear of being mugged, shot or even worse serenaded with good customer service! Anyway, one day on the way back to her hotel she felt the presence of two very tall, burly men stood behind her. She realised they were walking in to the hotel, they were following her to the lift, they were getting in the lift...convinced she was about to get mugged when one of the men said "to the floor" (well he actually said "2 floors" but she misheard) the lady jumped to the deck spread her legs and put her hands on her head. Pretty mortifying when all they were asking was to go up 2 floors, even more so when it turns out one of the men in question has settled your hotel bill the next day and was none other than Will Smith!! I LOVE this story, how hilarious. Will Smith had been so horrified by the lady's reaction that he wanted to put her mind at rest that not everybody in New York is a thug. Bless him :)

No comments:

Post a Comment