Monday 14 September 2009

Editors/ Netball/ Final Score

Sometimes you have those weeks when your feet just don't touch the floor, well that's how my last week has been.
On Monday night I headed off to interview The Editors for Q Radio at the Hard Rock Cafe, Mayfair. These gigs are so much fun, mainly because of the intimacy you get (you can get up close to the stage and there's no big burly security guards dragging you off to boot you out the back door), but there's also a matter of free drink and food. Now I've never been one to look a gift horse in the mouth so safe to say I get quite merry at these gigs (have you seen London prices recently?!), I also manage to scoff my way through approx 4 mini cheeseburger, 2 spring rolls, 2 chicken dippers and a chocolate fudge brownie (if I'm really lucky and hover around by the kitchen door for a while!).
Editors were on form, they played their 3rd album in full, plus a couple of oldies (aka crowd pleasers) - Munich and Blood - and I managed to get a couple of pictures too. My interview with them should be running on Q Radio this week, not heard it yet, but even if it isn't - hey I got free drink and cheesburgers, no complaints here.

Wednesday evening was the low point in my week (it should have been a high - England thrashed Croatia at Wembley!), but in my own little sporting world I was about to experience my first relegation.
Our netball team (Mavericks) newly promoted to the Premier League last season had been struggling to keep up with the pace from Match 1 - relelgation back to Division One was a near on certainty, but it didn't make the taste any less bitter. We lost (can't even remember by how many goals, enough to make me want to forget) and with it came confirmation we were relegated - bummer! Better luck next time girls!!

Being nice does pay! I found this out on Thursday morning - I was in the Sky canteen and partook in some polite chit chat with a member of staff. He felt a bit sorry for me (I must have still looked down from the 'relegation' the night before) and he made me laugh as I stood in line for my weekly fry-up breakfast (I had a feeling I'd be needing it Thursday morning after netball). Anyway, as I'm standing in line to pay for my bacon, egg, has brown and baked beans (yum!) he swept by and paid for it on his card - bless him! One breakfast later and netball the night before was all forgotten - thank you Mr Canteen Man :)

To finish off my week I had the scary task of doing a report for the BBC's Final Score programme. I'd be making my debut from the Charlton v Southampton game in League One. It's something I'd been thinking on and off about all week - my dream job and I can't stop pinching myself about it. I get down to The Valley in plenty of time (despite roadworks) and set up my ISDN kit ready to speak to Gabby Logan on the red button show - thing is they didn't come to me before the game - my script I'd hand written had been poetic artwork (ok slight exaggeration) but it never got to be aired, instead I was thrown to a good 20 minutes later than expected and managed to make my first slur - in the heat of the moment I said Alan Pardew had received some beers instead of jeers - whoopsie! I did correct myself and if held to account was prepared to buy 6-cans of Carling and ship them down to the dug out to make amends!
But the rest of the afternoon felt great, the more I did the more comfortable I felt - two disallowed goals and 5 yellow cards later I was packing up to go home. It finished Charlton 1 - Southampton 1 and the Addicks sit top of League One on goal difference.
I rushed downstairs to interview Alan Pardew for the Football League Show before heading to my car which I'd parked in a nearby street. On arrival back to my faithful Ford KA I was greeted by a man who told me it had nearly got broken in to. I was very relieved it was still in tact and couldn't quite understand why anyone would want to break in to my little KA when there was a VW Golf parked right opposite with a Bagpuss in the back window...surely that's worth stealing!

So that was a few tit bits from my week and with a One Day International at Trent Bridge and my friend Grace's Tapas evening on the agenda this week, I'll return with a couple of stories or two I'm sure....

No comments:

Post a Comment